Cape Town – Cape Town police have launched a manhunt after an eight-month-old baby was snatched from his cot at his home in Kraaifontein.
Suspect Miranda “Mindy”Julies was on Wednesday spotted at the Kraaifontein Day Hospital with little Lucus Cederus, but police were unable to trace the pair by Wednesday night.
Lucus was asleep in his cot on Tuesday while Julies , a neighbour, had been visiting family.
Police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk says: “The grandmother of the eight-month-old baby reported a case of kidnapping after the suspect asked the grandmother if she can show the baby to someone.“The suspect was last seen at Kraaifontein Day Hospital at 11am [on Wednesday].”
Police have set up a joint operation to track the baby and alleged snatcher.
Lucus’s uncle, Carlo Cederus, who spoke to the Daily Voice while the infant’s mother, Mercia, was being interviewed by detectives, said Julies refused to listen to relatives when she left the house with baby.
“He was stolen from his bed while he was sleeping,’’ Carlo said.
“Julies, who took our child, was always saying she was pregnant but there was never a baby.
“My other sister, Simone, had plaited her hair on that day and then left to enrol her child at Scottsdene High.
“People who saw Julies taking our baby tried to stop her but she just did her own thing.
“My sister has not slept since Lucus was taken, she has six other children and they all want to know where Boeta-manne (Lucus) is.”
He said the baby was “very healthy” and was still being breastfed.
Little Lucus, who has curly hair, was last seen dressed in a red crawler.
Lucus has a tiny lump on the left side of his forehead.
* If you have seen Miranda Julies or Lucus, please contact Warrant Officer Beck at Kraaifontein Police on 021 980 5599 and 079 893 9857, or the Pink Ladies on 072 214 7439 and 064 648 1577.
Source: Daily Voice