Durban – The family of 66-year-old Irishman Stanley Currie are desperately trying to reach him after he boarded a flight from Dublin, Ireland, to South Africa on December 30, and has not been heard from since.
His brother Richard Currie, who is based overseas, posted a plea for help on the South African Community Crime Watch (SACCW) Facebook page, stating that Stanley had been talking to a woman online for about two years and had decided to meet her.
Richard said he boarded a plane using a one-way ticket, without booking accommodation, to meet her in Johannesburg.
“This person who he was going to meet, no one from the family have any idea who ‘she’ is and we are obviously concerned that it is a scam.
“We are now getting very concerned about him,” said Richard. He said Stanley suffers from depression and has health problems with his heart.
“Numerous attempts have been made by myself and his family to contact him, but his phone has been turned off,” said Richard.
Stanley’s son, Mark Currie, has also appealed for information on Facebook regarding the whereabouts of his father.
“Has (anyone) seen or heard from my dad (Stanley Currie) lately? He hasn’t been seen or heard from since Sunday (December 30, 2018).
“It’s not like him to not be in touch. Any info would be great, thanks,” he said.
Steven King, SACCW’s chief executive, said the organisation was working with the family to investigate what might have happened.
“At this stage all we know is that he possibly boarded a flight from Dublin. We are still waiting for the family to let us know which airline the ticket was booked with,” said King.
According to the family, he added, Stanley had missed his first flight, which was booked by his neighbour.
“They are still trying to find out who booked the second ticket for him,” King said.
He further explained that the family had tried to open a missing person’s case with police in Northern Ireland, but police refused.
“Police said he had booked his own ticket and left the country, so according to them he has gone on holiday and everything is good,” he said.
King said there could be a few factors that are causing Stanley not to contact his family.
“One possibility is that he lost his cellphone or he got himself a South African SIM card. But that’s speculation and we are still trying to establish the facts,” said King.
“If anyone has any information, please contact us immediately so we can contact the gentleman and let his family know that he is fine,” said King.
Richard said while they can’t force Stanley to return home, they just want to know that he’s safe.
According to King, the South African police were also made aware of the situation, but a case has not yet been opened.
Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news
Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.
Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.
Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.
Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.
She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.
Tweets and reports that Mme Lydia Mokgokoloshi has passed are FALSE
Nkoko Mantsha, as she is affectionately known to Skeem Saam fans, is alive.
The FB page reporting this is NOT an SABC creates page. pic.twitter.com/mGcpWASpqf
— Kgopolo (@PhilMphela) July 24, 2021
Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in
Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.
Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.
He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.
Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.
“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.
Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
This is a developing story.
Residents warned against consuming dead fish washing up at Umhlanga and Umdloti beaches – video
The eThekwini Municipality has sent out a warning to residents against collecting and consuming dead fish and crayfish that have washed up on the beaches of Umhlanga and Umdloti, north of Durban.
The public has been asked to refrain from fishing, surfing and swimming on the beaches after a video of the dead fish on the beaches emerged on social media.
The municipality said it was investigating what caused the marine life to die.
“It is considered serious and can affect one’s health if collected and consumed.”
According to reports, run-off water and chemicals reached the ocean through storm water drains after firefighters battled a blaze at a chemical plant at Cornubia started by looters on Tuesday.
“The public is advised to refrain from all recreational activities, including fishing or surfing, bait collection and picking up of dead species in this area,” said the municipality.
“Collecting or harvesting of any marine living resource in the area is temporarily prohibited until the cause is determined and the threat has abated.
“Authorities are investigating the source of the pollution and cleanup companies are trying to contain the spill.”
News3 months ago
Yet another video shows Leo Prinsloo heroics in foiling the Pretoria heist
News3 months ago
Leo Prinsloo guarded Kim Kardashian amongst other high profile people
News3 months ago
“I did what my mind told me to do and it worked that day,” Leo Prinsloo
News2 months ago
Dashcam shows terrified bakkie driver under attack from an incensed elephant
News3 months ago
Attorney Theasen Pillay found deceased in his Umhlanga Ridge apartment