Connect with us


Alleged Durban drug kingpin Teddy Mafia killed, suspects beheaded



Two independent sources confirmed that Pillay was shot twice in the head and died shortly after arriving at Chatsmed hospital in Chatsworth.

Two people have also been beheaded and their bodies burnt on Taurus Street in Shallcross, south of Durban.

Senior-ranking police officers said they feared that Pillay’s death could spark further violence in a community which has been ravaged by a drug turf war that has claimed dozens of lives.

SAPS spokesperson Brig Jay Naicker confirmed the incident, saying a shooting took place “at a known drug dealers home” on Taurus Street, Shallcross.

“It is alleged that at about 2pm, the owner of the property, known as Teddy Mafia, had informed his daughter that he was expecting visitors. Upon arrival of the suspects at their home, the daughter proceeded to the back of their property were she heard gunshots. The daughter then established that her father had been shot,” said Naicker.

The community caught the two alleged shooters before they could escape.

“The community apprehended both suspects and set them alight, thereafter beheading both of them. When police officers arrived at the scene the community opened fire at them,” he said.

The public order policing unit dispersed the crowd, with no injuries reported.

“Teddy Mafia succumbed to his injuries at a local hospital. Police did not seize any firearms at the scene. At this stage, it is unknown if the suspects were on foot or in a vehicle. Police will investigate three dockets of murder,” said Naicker.

Earlier, metro police spokesperson Snr Supt Parboo Sewpersad confirmed that Pillay had been shot.

“The situation is volatile, with suspects firing at metro police. The scene is still active. We urge people to steer clear of the area as requests for further backup have been made,” he said.

Sources close to the investigation said the two men are understood to have carried out a “hit” on Pillay before an angry mob descended on them.

TimesLIVE is in possession of video footage showing members of the community beating the men, who are lying facedown on the road while gunshots can be heard.

Pillay was arrested on April 30 last year during a raid at his home, where police allegedly found unlicensed firearms, R700,000 cash, and gold and silver coins with an estimated value of R250,000.

Charged with illegal possession of firearms and ammunition, Pillay was released on R5,000 bail at the Chatsworth magistrate’s court and ordered to appear at the local police station twice a week.

His arrest followed a spate of hitman-like murders in Shallcross and surrounding areas, after Pillay’s son was gunned down on March 12 in a drive-by shooting.

It is understood that Devendren Lionel Pillay, 32, and Claudene Rampersad, 32, had been standing in the driveway of Rampersad’s home on Alpine Drive, Shallcross, when a white Toyota Corolla, with a number of occupants, drove past and fired multiple shots — killing the pair.

A source close to the investigation said an ongoing turf war in the area had resulted in close to 10 murders within months.


Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading


N2 Kei Cuttings bus accident leaves 27 dead



At least 27 people have been killed in a bus accident on the N2 at Kei Cuttings between East London and Butterworth in the Eastern Cape on Monday afternoon.

The death toll has been revised from earlier reports which indicated that 10 people have died.

Eastern Cape transport department spokesperson, Unathi Binqose, says the number of the deaths could increase as more people were still trapped inside the wrecked bus.

A large number of search and rescue personnel, traffic officers, firefighters and paramedics are on the scene.

Binqose said the death toll is likely to increase as search and rescue personnel plan to flip the bus over to see whether more people are trapped underneath.

The accident took place on the notorious section of the N2, known as the Kei Cuttings, north of the Kei River, which is known for its perilous twists and turns.

Binqose said the driver of the bus is among those who died.

The driver is believed to have lost control of the long-distance passenger bus before it plunged 200 metres down a steep embankment.

Read | 13 killed in KZN horror truck and minibus taxi crash

“He lost control just before he could cross the river on the last curve,” said Binqose.

Chief director of clinical support services for the health department, Kidwell Matshotyana, told TellitallSA that 22 people were stable and did not want to go to hospital.

“In terms of the injured people, we have five patients admitted at Frere Hospital and one at Life St Dominic’s Private Hospital [both in East London],” he said.

The department will arrange transport for the 22 people, who don’t want to go to hospital, to the nearest town. They will be given accommodation.

The bus is understood to have been transporting passengers from Cape Town.

Hospitals and emergency services in the area and further afield were offering help with triaging patients.

He said the police had the grim task of going through the luggage to find identity documents, in order to begin informing the next of kin of the tragedy.

The department would also work with the bus company to establish a contact centre for worried families checking up on people who were on the bus, and those details would be announced later.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading


Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news



Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.

Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.

Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.

Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.

She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading


Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in



Thulani dlomo

Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.

Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.

He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.

Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.

“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.

Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

This is a developing story.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading


Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA