Connect with us

News

Blackmail behind leak of Carletonville crèche assault videos, says lawyer

Published

on

Johannesburg – A lawyer representing the principal of the Carletonville crèche where a caregiver was filmed assaulting toddlers on Wednesday made damning accusations as to how the three videos of the assault were leaked.

The videos have gone viral on social media.

Speaking on behalf of the school from outside the crèche, Danie van Zyl said a disgruntled former employee had decided to share the videos with parents after she was fired, Timeslive reported.

“The lady taking these videos, she blackmailed the principal,” said Van Zyl.

“She threatened that she would make these videos viral and send them all over the country and to the parents because she wants to teach her a lesson. That transpired because she was dismissed for an earlier incident involving some alleged dishonesty,” he added.

TellitallSA has decided not to name the crèche as it could infringe on the rights of the children who are enrolled there.

The school principal’s phone remained engaged on Wednesday afternoon and efforts to reach her proved fruitless.

Police confirmed that the caregiver who was filmed assaulting the sick child had been arrested. Further details would be released soon, they said.

Read also: Child minder in Carletonville creche assault video, out on bail

Van Zyl, however, said police were now pursuing the teacher who had taken the videos and allegedly tried to blackmail the principal with them.

The three videos depicting the assault caused outrage. If the dialogue heard on the video is anything to go by, one of the toddlers was beaten for vomiting, while another was beaten for not wanting to sleep.

The clips show how the caregiver repeatedly smacked the children on the buttocks, slapped them over their heads with open hands, beat one on the head with a wooden scrubbing brush and grabbed them by the collars.

One of the children was seen being grabbed and thrown on to the carpet, where the caregiver is then seen putting her foot on the little boy’s head.

Van Zyl maintained that the school principal, whom he referred to as Mrs Edwards, “had no idea” about the abuse suffered by the children.

A parent of one of the children who was filmed being assaulted, however, said that she had confronted the principal with her suspicions after her child, who at times came home with bruises, repeatedly cried when she was being dropped off.

“When I reported this to the principal, she said my daughter is an emotional person and I am overreacting,” the woman said.

Her daughter was 17 months old when she was first enrolled at the crèche. She was there for seven months.

“I took her out of the crèche two months ago. It was because of instinct. Every mom has that instinct. I couldn’t force her to go back there because she was not the same child anymore,” she said.

Gauteng’s social development MEC Nandi Mayathula-Khoza said she would visit the crèche.

Facebook Comments Box

News

Watch: Teddy Mafia’s son-in-law targeted in Shallcross drive-by shooting

Published

on

Teddy mafia son in law

Kesavan Isaac Naidoo, the son-in-law of slain alleged Durban drug boss “Teddy Mafia” has survived a brazen attempted assassination on Wednesday, his family confirmed.

The incident took place at about 10am in Shallcross, south of Durban.

Naidoo, 41, is the son-in-law of Yaganathan Pillay – also known as Teddy Mafia.

He was shot twice in a daylight hit on Table Mountain Drive. The incident was captured on CCTV.

“Isaac was shot in both legs and his driver was shot in the hand. Both of them survived. They’re in hospital,” he said.

Read also: Alleged Durban drug kingpin Teddy Mafia killed, suspects beheaded

Pillay said Naidoo was in the back seat while his wife was in the front. The shooting, seen in the footage, takes place moments after they open the doors of their vehicle to get out.

In the footage, a white vehicle can be seen driving along Table Mountain Drive before it is stopped, partially blocking the left hand side of the road. Thirteen seconds later, Naidoo’s vehicle, a white Toyota Fortuna, pulls up.

The back passenger door of the Fortuner is opened, but it is not clear from the footage who the person was who opened it or if they got out of the vehicle.

Naidoo’s wife is seen getting out of the front passenger side of the vehicle and walks towards the rear of the SUV.

Suddenly, four men alight from the stationary vehicle, three of them drawing firearms and running towards the Fortuner, firing multiple shots. The fourth man stands next to the white car.

As the bullets are fired, Naidoo’s driver accelerates and drives past the other vehicle. Naidoo is presumably in the vehicle as it speeds away, but this could not immediately be confirmed.

Pillay said Naidoo was doing “OK”.

Police have been approached for comment, and this story will be updated.

TellitallSA

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Facebook Down, Instagram and WhatsApp also offline

Published

on

Facebook Down, Instagram and WhatsApp also offline

Facebook is currently experiencing an outage impacting its family of sites including WhatsApp and Instagram.

Most Facebook users are seeing an error message that says ‘This site can’t be reached.’ On Instagram, the error message shows as a 5xx Server Error message.

The outage is impacting users on both desktop and mobile.

“We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products,” Andy Stone, policy communications manager at Facebook, tweeted on Monday. “We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.”

Facebook Messenger and Oculus are also experiencing outages.

The first reports on DownDetector.com started around 5pm.

According to The Verge, the issue is likely related to a DNS issue. When Slack experienced an outage last week, it was also related to DNS issues.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Husband killed, wife critical as robbers open fire during Joburg home invasion

Published

on

randpark home invasion

A home invasion on Sunday night left a man dead and his wife fighting for her life after they were shot by robbers in Randpark, Johannesburg.

Emer-G-Med private emergency services paramedics found the man had sustained fatal gunshot wounds and he was declared dead.

His wife was also shot several times and was stabilised before being taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Reports from the scene indicated there were several armed assailants.

Police are investigating the incident.- TimesLIVE

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA