Connect with us

News

Family sues KZN health department over missing body of infant

Published

on

infant body missing from pinetown government mortuary

Durban – The body of seven-month-old Sikhosana Mosemene went missing from a government mortuary in Pinetown a year ago and has still not been found.

Now the family is suing the KwaZulu-Natal Health Department for the trauma they have had to endure.

Sebode Mosemene, Sikhosana’s father, said the most painful part of the ordeal was not being able to bury his son, which had led to his wife suffering a nervous breakdown.

“My status as a foreigner, and the fact that I’m poor and have no formal education, has made things worse.

“I have since gone to lawyers and they are handling the case. I want the department to pay for the pain and trauma that we have gone through.

“My wife is still not herself and she has refused to return to Durban since she left for Lesotho to prepare for the funeral.

“After she heard about her child’s body being missing, she was admitted to hospital, and she has been in and out ever since,” Mosemene said yesterday.

He said the department had still not provided counselling to the family, nor had it explained the disappearance of the baby’s body.

Infant Sikhosana died on March 26 last year at an informal day care centre and his body was taken to the Pinetown mortuary.

Two days later the baby’s body could not be found when the parents went to the mortuary to take it to Lesotho, their country of origin.

“I did not bury my child. I don’t know where his bones are. His spirit cannot rest without the religious and cultural rites that are performed when a person dies.

“We have been deprived of our right to lay our child to rest and to perform these rites.

“I’m less human to these people (the Health Department) because I’m a foreign national and I’m poor. That’s why I sought help from the lawyers.

“They (the department) must pay and I won’t rest until they do. As for my baby boy, I ask him to forgive me. There is nothing more I can do to find his remains and lay him to rest in dignity,” said the Welbedacht resident.

Mosemene said his family was offered no counselling after being told of the missing body and they still don’t know the cause of his death.

The Daily News reported at the time that the department was still “considering” several options aimed at “minimising” the Mosemene family’s pain.

Thandi Sima, director of Thandi Sima and Associates, said they were representing the Mosemenes in the matter and that papers had been filed.

“We are still in the early stages of litigation, but we have issued summons to the department. We are waiting for their plea. Whether the matter goes to court depends on them (the department),” Sima said.

She would not divulge the amount the family was seeking in damages from the department.

The department ignored questions seeking to establish whether there was an investigation into the matter.

Health Department spokesperson Ncumisa Mafunda said: “This is now a legal matter. As a matter of principle the department does not comment on legal matters. The department’s legal team has had numerous engagements with the family’s legal representatives to keep them informed of developments.” Daily News

Facebook Comments Box

News

Watch: Teddy Mafia’s son-in-law targeted in Shallcross drive-by shooting

Published

on

Teddy mafia son in law

Kesavan Isaac Naidoo, the son-in-law of slain alleged Durban drug boss “Teddy Mafia” has survived a brazen attempted assassination on Wednesday, his family confirmed.

The incident took place at about 10am in Shallcross, south of Durban.

Naidoo, 41, is the son-in-law of Yaganathan Pillay – also known as Teddy Mafia.

He was shot twice in a daylight hit on Table Mountain Drive. The incident was captured on CCTV.

“Isaac was shot in both legs and his driver was shot in the hand. Both of them survived. They’re in hospital,” he said.

Read also: Alleged Durban drug kingpin Teddy Mafia killed, suspects beheaded

Pillay said Naidoo was in the back seat while his wife was in the front. The shooting, seen in the footage, takes place moments after they open the doors of their vehicle to get out.

In the footage, a white vehicle can be seen driving along Table Mountain Drive before it is stopped, partially blocking the left hand side of the road. Thirteen seconds later, Naidoo’s vehicle, a white Toyota Fortuna, pulls up.

The back passenger door of the Fortuner is opened, but it is not clear from the footage who the person was who opened it or if they got out of the vehicle.

Naidoo’s wife is seen getting out of the front passenger side of the vehicle and walks towards the rear of the SUV.

Suddenly, four men alight from the stationary vehicle, three of them drawing firearms and running towards the Fortuner, firing multiple shots. The fourth man stands next to the white car.

As the bullets are fired, Naidoo’s driver accelerates and drives past the other vehicle. Naidoo is presumably in the vehicle as it speeds away, but this could not immediately be confirmed.

Pillay said Naidoo was doing “OK”.

Police have been approached for comment, and this story will be updated.

TellitallSA

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Facebook Down, Instagram and WhatsApp also offline

Published

on

Facebook Down, Instagram and WhatsApp also offline

Facebook is currently experiencing an outage impacting its family of sites including WhatsApp and Instagram.

Most Facebook users are seeing an error message that says ‘This site can’t be reached.’ On Instagram, the error message shows as a 5xx Server Error message.

The outage is impacting users on both desktop and mobile.

“We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products,” Andy Stone, policy communications manager at Facebook, tweeted on Monday. “We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.”

Facebook Messenger and Oculus are also experiencing outages.

The first reports on DownDetector.com started around 5pm.

According to The Verge, the issue is likely related to a DNS issue. When Slack experienced an outage last week, it was also related to DNS issues.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Husband killed, wife critical as robbers open fire during Joburg home invasion

Published

on

randpark home invasion

A home invasion on Sunday night left a man dead and his wife fighting for her life after they were shot by robbers in Randpark, Johannesburg.

Emer-G-Med private emergency services paramedics found the man had sustained fatal gunshot wounds and he was declared dead.

His wife was also shot several times and was stabilised before being taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Reports from the scene indicated there were several armed assailants.

Police are investigating the incident.- TimesLIVE

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA