Durban – A PINETOWN mother is pursuing legal action against Clairwood Hospital after she claimed her healthy newborn baby died as a result of incompetence.
Nisha Naidoo, 34, of Savannah Park, said she was told her son, Caleb, who was born at 30 weeks, had aspirated – food, liquid, or some other material entered the airway or lungs.
Health authorities are investigating.But Naidoo said a post-mortem had not been conducted.
“As a mother who gave birth to a healthy baby, I didn’t feel as if they did their best to save my child. My baby was neglected. If the staff had been more hands-on, and the doctor had come earlier, he may still be alive.
“Why wasn’t there a doctor on stand-by for emergencies?” Naidoo said.
She had waited 10 years for a second child, said the grieving mother.
Naidoo gave birth at RK Khan Hospital in November and was subsequently transferred to the Kangaroo Mother Care unit at Clairwood Hospital.
This refers to a technique of newborn care where babies are kept skin-to-skin with a parent, typically their mother, and it is commonly used for low birth-weight, pre-term babies.
“He weighed 1.5kg and needed to gain 300g before he could be sent home. For almost two weeks, he drank expressed breast milk via a tube in his nose. It was removed on December 19.”
She said she fed Caleb at 11pm that evening (December 19) and burped him before going to sleep around midnight.
When she woke to feed him at 2.30am, his breathing was shallow. Naidoo called the night-shift nurse for help.
“She told me in an arrogant manner to take my child and leave him on the bed in the resuscitation room.”
Naidoo said the nurse’s colleague could not be found in the ward.
“The sister suctioned my baby and began resuscitating him. She had the saturation machine on him (which indirectly monitors the oxygen saturation of a patient’s blood), which showed 100%.”
The next moment, the nurse, said Naidoo, began screaming for her to search for her colleague who could not be found.
“The nurse became frustrated and left resuscitating my baby to phone the doctor.”
She said while standing outside, she noticed Caleb’s saturation level had dropped from 100% to 21%.
“I overheard her tell the doctor that my child’s saturation was 100% and that he was still pink and warm. I wanted to tell her the saturation had dropped, but feared she would shout me. I was helpless. When she returned and saw his saturation was low, she began resuscitating him.”
Naidoo said the nurse yelled at her that she could not do everything by herself and demanded that she call another nurse from the paediatric department to come and help her.
She said the nurse was covered with a hospital blanket and asleep on a chair.
After informing her what was happening, Naidoo went back to the mother care unit.
“The sister was on the phone again and my child was unattended.”
Naidoo claimed the nurse from the paediatric department arrived about an hour later, and Caleb’s saturation continued to drop. The doctor, she said, arrived at about 4am.
“The doctor tried resuscitating my baby and put him on a drip. After 6am I saw them put a sheet over his face and body and I began shaking uncontrollably.”
She said the doctor had said that they were sorry and that they had tried their best.
“She said my baby had aspirated. I was shocked because he didn’t vomit or choke. His breathing was only shallow.”
She said a nurse told her the next morning that a post-mortem was not needed because the doctor had already ascertained and informed her of the cause of death.
Naidoo’s husband, Raymond, said: “After so many years, I was excited to have another child, but now our lives are filled with sadness and so many unanswered questions.”
The Naidoos’ attorney, Ashwin Rughbeer, said: “It is trite law that some entity, person or body must be held accountable. Liability has to be established to bring peace of mind and restitution to the grief-stricken family.
“We will be proceeding by instituting legal action against the hospital for the negligence of the staff on duty.”
The spokesperson for the Department of Health, Ncumisa Mafunda, said the department had instituted an investigation.
She said the department appealed to aggrieved health care users and the public to demand to speak to the health facility management or public relations officers to immediately register a grievance.
Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news
Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.
Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.
Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.
Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.
She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.
Tweets and reports that Mme Lydia Mokgokoloshi has passed are FALSE
Nkoko Mantsha, as she is affectionately known to Skeem Saam fans, is alive.
The FB page reporting this is NOT an SABC creates page. pic.twitter.com/mGcpWASpqf
— Kgopolo (@PhilMphela) July 24, 2021
Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in
Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.
Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.
He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.
Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.
“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.
Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
This is a developing story.
Residents warned against consuming dead fish washing up at Umhlanga and Umdloti beaches – video
The eThekwini Municipality has sent out a warning to residents against collecting and consuming dead fish and crayfish that have washed up on the beaches of Umhlanga and Umdloti, north of Durban.
The public has been asked to refrain from fishing, surfing and swimming on the beaches after a video of the dead fish on the beaches emerged on social media.
The municipality said it was investigating what caused the marine life to die.
“It is considered serious and can affect one’s health if collected and consumed.”
According to reports, run-off water and chemicals reached the ocean through storm water drains after firefighters battled a blaze at a chemical plant at Cornubia started by looters on Tuesday.
“The public is advised to refrain from all recreational activities, including fishing or surfing, bait collection and picking up of dead species in this area,” said the municipality.
“Collecting or harvesting of any marine living resource in the area is temporarily prohibited until the cause is determined and the threat has abated.
“Authorities are investigating the source of the pollution and cleanup companies are trying to contain the spill.”
News3 months ago
Yet another video shows Leo Prinsloo heroics in foiling the Pretoria heist
News3 months ago
Leo Prinsloo guarded Kim Kardashian amongst other high profile people
News3 months ago
“I did what my mind told me to do and it worked that day,” Leo Prinsloo
News2 months ago
Dashcam shows terrified bakkie driver under attack from an incensed elephant
News3 months ago
Attorney Theasen Pillay found deceased in his Umhlanga Ridge apartment