Connect with us

News

KZN family devastated after boy, 3, found dead in hole

Published

on

cop killed in mob justice

A Ladysmith family is devastated after discovering their missing 3-year-old boy dead in a hole near their house. The boy’s grandmother believes her 3-year-old grandson’s killers intended on burying his body completely, never to be found.

Ntombifuthi Zwane, 40, found her grandson Alwande “Fana” Mtshali’s body on Tuesday after they had searched for him since 10am on Monday.

She said they had searched for the toddler at the spot where he was eventually found, more than once.

“I saw his blue flip-flop and ran to where he was, where there were holes dug up for poles in preparation for fencing. I was thinking maybe he was trapped there and alive. When I was closer I saw just his leg. I started pulling but he was stiff. I had thought he must have been put there recently as we had searched the place before so I pulled harder. His head and top half of his body were in the hole covered in sand and large rocks,” said Zwane.

She explained that the family homestead was a large property with separately built rooms and the family had a thorn bush hedge as a fence.

Zwane said they were removing the thorn bush hedge to replace it with a wire fence and Alwande was found in a hole for the pole of the fence.

“The hole had been dug some more to extend it, to fit him in there. I don’t know if maybe they were rushing or something disturbed them but you can see they intended on burying him so we never find him.”

Zwane, Alwande’s maternal grandmother, explained that on Monday the boy had been with his 4-month-old sister and their minder.

“She said the infant began crying and the minder went to a separate room, leaving Alwande sitting on the stoep of the TV room.

“When she was finished feeding the baby, she called out for Alwande but he didn’t respond. He wasn’t on the stoep. The search then began. We searched all of the homestead property.

“The area councillor Bhekokwakhe Majola put up an alert on Facebook and more of the community from across the area came and helped search bushes and rivers. We searched until 8am on Tuesday,” said Zwane.

They arrived at home that morning to find congregants gathered praying and she joined them. She prayed deeper than she ever had and felt that her grandson was no longer alive.

“I prayed that He at least let me find Alwande’s body. Something told me to go outside. I walked up towards one of the rooms and something told me to turn back and head down our property.

“We had walked this way searching before. While walking down I saw his blue flip-flop,” said Zwane.

Police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said that Ezakheni police had opened an inquest docket.

Facebook Comments Box

News

N2 Kei Cuttings bus accident leaves 27 dead

Published

on

At least 27 people have been killed in a bus accident on the N2 at Kei Cuttings between East London and Butterworth in the Eastern Cape on Monday afternoon.

The death toll has been revised from earlier reports which indicated that 10 people have died.

Eastern Cape transport department spokesperson, Unathi Binqose, says the number of the deaths could increase as more people were still trapped inside the wrecked bus.

A large number of search and rescue personnel, traffic officers, firefighters and paramedics are on the scene.

Binqose said the death toll is likely to increase as search and rescue personnel plan to flip the bus over to see whether more people are trapped underneath.

The accident took place on the notorious section of the N2, known as the Kei Cuttings, north of the Kei River, which is known for its perilous twists and turns.

Binqose said the driver of the bus is among those who died.

The driver is believed to have lost control of the long-distance passenger bus before it plunged 200 metres down a steep embankment.

Read | 13 killed in KZN horror truck and minibus taxi crash

“He lost control just before he could cross the river on the last curve,” said Binqose.

Chief director of clinical support services for the health department, Kidwell Matshotyana, told TellitallSA that 22 people were stable and did not want to go to hospital.

“In terms of the injured people, we have five patients admitted at Frere Hospital and one at Life St Dominic’s Private Hospital [both in East London],” he said.

The department will arrange transport for the 22 people, who don’t want to go to hospital, to the nearest town. They will be given accommodation.

The bus is understood to have been transporting passengers from Cape Town.

Hospitals and emergency services in the area and further afield were offering help with triaging patients.

He said the police had the grim task of going through the luggage to find identity documents, in order to begin informing the next of kin of the tragedy.

The department would also work with the bus company to establish a contact centre for worried families checking up on people who were on the bus, and those details would be announced later.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news

Published

on

Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.

Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.

Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.

Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.

She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in

Published

on

Thulani dlomo

Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.

Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.

He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.

Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.

“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.

Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

This is a developing story.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA