Durban – A 22-year-old taxi driver charged with the culpable homicide of a Durban Metro Police officer has been granted bail in the eManzimtoti Magistrate’s Court.
Nhlakanipho Cele was granted R2 000 bail on Monday morning and his matter was adjourned to April for further investigation.
Cele was arrested on Friday after he hit Inspector John Deysel, 59, with the Toyota Quantum he had been driving.
According to Metro Police spokesperson Superintendent Glen Ndlovu, Deysel had been enforcing a stop street when he was killed.
A video of the incident was up on facebook and Ndlovu advised people to refrain from making negative commentary on social media platforms based on this video.
Ndlovu said Deysel flashed his light (in his hand) a few times for the driver to stop but the driver did not slow down.
The SA Municipal Workers’ Union said it would meet with its shop stewards to discuss safety matters following Deysel’s death.
Provincial secretary Jaycee Ncanana said the issue of officers’ safety during roadblocks had been raised previously and the union was given an assurance that its members were safe.
“We will meet with shop stewards to discuss a way forward when it comes to safety – maybe looking at refresher courses for members,” he said.
Ncanana said their meeting would include looking at where improvements could be made in ensuring the safety of officers.
“We have to sit down with the employer and make suggestions on how our members can be safer out there,” Ncanana said.
Deysel’s wife of nearly 21 years, Rina, said he had been with the metro police service for a total of 34 years, 23 of which he had served with the Durban metro police.
She said their little girl, Johane, who would turn two on February 26, was his world and they would have celebrated their 21st wedding anniversary in April.
“He was the proudest policeman and was passionate about his job. We battled for so long to have a child and when this little body arrived, she became everything to him.
In the evenings, when he was working the night shift, I would phone him and he would speak to her,” she said.
Rina said she felt like she was in a nightmare when metro officers came to their home to tell her of his death on Friday night.
“Seeing them at my house, coming like that, is every police wife’s nightmare.
It’s like I’m in a dream and still need to wake up. All I am trying to do is think about my husband and the memories we shared so I can feel close to him,” she said.
Rina said she would collect all the newspaper articles written about her husband, who would have celebrated his 60th birthday on February 19, for their daughter to read when she is older.
Metro police spokesperson Superintendent Glen Ndlovu advised people to refrain from making negative comments on social media platforms, based on video footage of the incident on Facebook yesterday.
Ndlovu said Deysel flashed his torch a few times for the taxi to stop, but the driver did not slow down.
“Instead, in the video he veered to the left and tried to squeeze between the officer and two vehicles standing off to his left,” Ndlovu said.
Watch: Teddy Mafia’s son-in-law targeted in Shallcross drive-by shooting
Kesavan Isaac Naidoo, the son-in-law of slain alleged Durban drug boss “Teddy Mafia” has survived a brazen attempted assassination on Wednesday, his family confirmed.
The incident took place at about 10am in Shallcross, south of Durban.
Naidoo, 41, is the son-in-law of Yaganathan Pillay – also known as Teddy Mafia.
He was shot twice in a daylight hit on Table Mountain Drive. The incident was captured on CCTV.
“Isaac was shot in both legs and his driver was shot in the hand. Both of them survived. They’re in hospital,” he said.
Pillay said Naidoo was in the back seat while his wife was in the front. The shooting, seen in the footage, takes place moments after they open the doors of their vehicle to get out.
In the footage, a white vehicle can be seen driving along Table Mountain Drive before it is stopped, partially blocking the left hand side of the road. Thirteen seconds later, Naidoo’s vehicle, a white Toyota Fortuna, pulls up.
The back passenger door of the Fortuner is opened, but it is not clear from the footage who the person was who opened it or if they got out of the vehicle.
Naidoo’s wife is seen getting out of the front passenger side of the vehicle and walks towards the rear of the SUV.
Suddenly, four men alight from the stationary vehicle, three of them drawing firearms and running towards the Fortuner, firing multiple shots. The fourth man stands next to the white car.
As the bullets are fired, Naidoo’s driver accelerates and drives past the other vehicle. Naidoo is presumably in the vehicle as it speeds away, but this could not immediately be confirmed.
Pillay said Naidoo was doing “OK”.
Police have been approached for comment, and this story will be updated.
— Yusuf Abramjee (@Abramjee) October 13, 2021
Facebook Down, Instagram and WhatsApp also offline
Facebook is currently experiencing an outage impacting its family of sites including WhatsApp and Instagram.
Most Facebook users are seeing an error message that says ‘This site can’t be reached.’ On Instagram, the error message shows as a 5xx Server Error message.
The outage is impacting users on both desktop and mobile.
“We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products,” Andy Stone, policy communications manager at Facebook, tweeted on Monday. “We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.”
We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products. We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
— Facebook (@Facebook) October 4, 2021
Facebook Messenger and Oculus are also experiencing outages.
The first reports on DownDetector.com started around 5pm.
According to The Verge, the issue is likely related to a DNS issue. When Slack experienced an outage last week, it was also related to DNS issues.
Husband killed, wife critical as robbers open fire during Joburg home invasion
A home invasion on Sunday night left a man dead and his wife fighting for her life after they were shot by robbers in Randpark, Johannesburg.
Emer-G-Med private emergency services paramedics found the man had sustained fatal gunshot wounds and he was declared dead.
His wife was also shot several times and was stabilised before being taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Reports from the scene indicated there were several armed assailants.
Police are investigating the incident.- TimesLIVE
News3 months ago
Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news
News2 months ago
N2 Kei Cuttings bus accident leaves 27 dead
News3 weeks ago
Drama As Bujy Bikwa Says No To Men’s Cell
World3 weeks ago
New video shows Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito telling police fiancé hit her during dispute
News3 weeks ago
Shortage of truck and bus drivers in South Africa as in the US and UK