Connect with us

News

Addington Hospital patients go without food after lifts stop working

Published

on

Durban – Patients at Durban’s Addington Hospital had to go without breakfast on Wednesday as lifts in the 16-storey building had stopped working.

Wayne Twynham said he has to regularly carry his 72-year-old uncle, who has had one leg amputated, upstairs because the lifts are often not in working order.

“He lost his foot during an operation and regularly goes for physiotherapy at Addington and I usually come with him,” said Twynham.

“This has been happening for some time and when the lifts are working, they are usually full.”

“Fortunately, his physiotherapists are on the first floor but this is not ideal and you can imagine how it affects other patients who are further up in the building.”

Daily News reported that only one lift of the eight in the main tower was working on Wednesday morning.

Department of Health spokesperson Ncumisa Mafunda said the department apologised for the disruptions caused by the malfunctioning lifts.

“Five of the eight lifts have been repaired and started working after 12.30pm today (Wednesday).

“The contractor is investigating the factors preventing the smooth operation of the lifts so this can be addressed once and for all,” she said.

However, the lifts were still not working when a second team of journalists visited late on Wednesday.

A source at the hospital however said that three of the eight lifts had been repaired on Thursday and that all the patients had received food.

On Wednesday, the elderly, staff and patients all had to use stairs, and the one working lift was usually full.

A staff member who spoke to the Daily News on condition of anonymity, said she was worried about the effect this was having on patients.

“From 6am to 10am, none of the lifts were working and the patients had to go without breakfast because the kitchen staff could not get to them,” the source said.

She said the matter of unreliable lifts dated back 18 months, but the situation had worsened in the past two weeks, with no more than two lifts working at any given time.

“Patients and staff have to go up and down the stairs. It is very difficult to get patients to theatre, do X-rays and transport food.” Daily News

Facebook Comments Box

News

Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news

Published

on

Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.

Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.

Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.

Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.

She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in

Published

on

Thulani dlomo

Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.

Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.

He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.

Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.

“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.

Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

This is a developing story.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Residents warned against consuming dead fish washing up at Umhlanga and Umdloti beaches – video

Published

on

The eThekwini Municipality has sent out a warning to residents against collecting and consuming dead fish and crayfish that have washed up on the beaches of Umhlanga and Umdloti, north of Durban.

The public has been asked to refrain from fishing, surfing and swimming on the beaches after a video of the dead fish on the beaches emerged on social media.

The municipality said it was investigating what caused the marine life to die.

“It is considered serious and can affect one’s health if collected and consumed.”

According to reports, run-off water and chemicals reached the ocean through storm water drains after firefighters battled a blaze at a chemical plant at Cornubia started by looters on Tuesday.

WATCH | Outrage after several monkeys and dog poisoned in Umdloti

“The public is advised to refrain from all recreational activities, including fishing or surfing, bait collection and picking up of dead species in this area,” said the municipality.

“Collecting or harvesting of any marine living resource in the area is temporarily prohibited until the cause is determined and the threat has abated.

“Authorities are investigating the source of the pollution and cleanup companies are trying to contain the spill.”

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA