Durban – A heartbroken husband, who believes his wife died as a result of medical negligence, will do anything for closure.
Last week, Nandha Chetty, 55, a Malvern businessman, had the body of his wife Jesse exhumed and hired a private pathologist to conduct a post-mortem.
He has also asked Life Entabeni Hospital, where she died, and the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) to investigate the matter.
Due to delays at the Magwaza Maphalala (Gale) Street Mortuary, the post-mortem was only conducted on Tuesday.
In 2017, a vascular surgeon told Jesse she had an aneurysm (bulge or ballooning in a blood vessel) on her coeliac vessel (major artery in abdominal cavity) and a blockage on her main mesenteric artery (takes blood from the aorta and distributes it to a large portion of the gastrointestinal tract).
In January 2018, the doctor attempted to place a stent on the aneurysm but the procedure was unsuccessful.
Chetty, a father of four, said they were told to return to the hospital if Jesse experienced pain. They were also warned to that if the aneurysm burst it could be fatal.
In April this year, the doctor allegedly told Jesse he wanted to proceed with surgery. Jesse underwent surgery on May 23.
“The doctor told me it was a success, but he did not perform the bypass because it was dangerous and complicated. But while visiting her on May 26, she looked darker. I questioned the staff and they said it was normal because of the blood infusions.”
A day later, her condition took a turn for the worse and she began bleeding internally, he said. She underwent a second procedure to stop the bleeding.
“I was told she had a heart attack and they revived her with the defibrillator. In addition, another vessel, close to the aneurysm, popped, due to the closeness of the blood vessels.”
Later that afternoon, bleeding started and a third operation followed. Her condition worsened. “Her kidneys failed and they needed to begin dialysis. She had also picked up jaundice.”
Jesse was unresponsive, and nurses, he said, encouraged him to talk and play her music to prompt her to respond.
On May 31, a day before Chetty’s 55th birthday, Jesse’s blood pressure dropped and she died before he could get to the hospital. She was 50.
Chetty refused to accept his wife died of natural causes, as reflected on her death certificate.
In June, Chetty opened an inquest into her death at Mayville SAPS and the Durban Magistrate’s Court granted his application to have the body exhumed.
“We want to know how she died, and if there was any wrongdoing, those responsible must be held accountable.”
Bhaviksha Maharaj, the hospital manager, sympathised with the family.
“We take allegations of negligence very seriously and while specialists practicing in our facilities are not employed by the Life Healthcare Group, we have stringent policies and protocols in place to address matters of this nature.”
Maharaj said an internal investigation was currently under way.
Noluthando Nkosi, of the KZN Department of Health, said the post-mortem was done on Tuesday and they regretted the delay.
Priscilla Sekhonyana, of the HPCSA, said they would investigate.
Watch: Teddy Mafia’s son-in-law targeted in Shallcross drive-by shooting
Kesavan Isaac Naidoo, the son-in-law of slain alleged Durban drug boss “Teddy Mafia” has survived a brazen attempted assassination on Wednesday, his family confirmed.
The incident took place at about 10am in Shallcross, south of Durban.
Naidoo, 41, is the son-in-law of Yaganathan Pillay – also known as Teddy Mafia.
He was shot twice in a daylight hit on Table Mountain Drive. The incident was captured on CCTV.
“Isaac was shot in both legs and his driver was shot in the hand. Both of them survived. They’re in hospital,” he said.
Pillay said Naidoo was in the back seat while his wife was in the front. The shooting, seen in the footage, takes place moments after they open the doors of their vehicle to get out.
In the footage, a white vehicle can be seen driving along Table Mountain Drive before it is stopped, partially blocking the left hand side of the road. Thirteen seconds later, Naidoo’s vehicle, a white Toyota Fortuna, pulls up.
The back passenger door of the Fortuner is opened, but it is not clear from the footage who the person was who opened it or if they got out of the vehicle.
Naidoo’s wife is seen getting out of the front passenger side of the vehicle and walks towards the rear of the SUV.
Suddenly, four men alight from the stationary vehicle, three of them drawing firearms and running towards the Fortuner, firing multiple shots. The fourth man stands next to the white car.
As the bullets are fired, Naidoo’s driver accelerates and drives past the other vehicle. Naidoo is presumably in the vehicle as it speeds away, but this could not immediately be confirmed.
Pillay said Naidoo was doing “OK”.
Police have been approached for comment, and this story will be updated.
— Yusuf Abramjee (@Abramjee) October 13, 2021
Facebook Down, Instagram and WhatsApp also offline
Facebook is currently experiencing an outage impacting its family of sites including WhatsApp and Instagram.
Most Facebook users are seeing an error message that says ‘This site can’t be reached.’ On Instagram, the error message shows as a 5xx Server Error message.
The outage is impacting users on both desktop and mobile.
“We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products,” Andy Stone, policy communications manager at Facebook, tweeted on Monday. “We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.”
We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products. We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
— Facebook (@Facebook) October 4, 2021
Facebook Messenger and Oculus are also experiencing outages.
The first reports on DownDetector.com started around 5pm.
According to The Verge, the issue is likely related to a DNS issue. When Slack experienced an outage last week, it was also related to DNS issues.
Husband killed, wife critical as robbers open fire during Joburg home invasion
A home invasion on Sunday night left a man dead and his wife fighting for her life after they were shot by robbers in Randpark, Johannesburg.
Emer-G-Med private emergency services paramedics found the man had sustained fatal gunshot wounds and he was declared dead.
His wife was also shot several times and was stabilised before being taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Reports from the scene indicated there were several armed assailants.
Police are investigating the incident.- TimesLIVE
News3 months ago
Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news
News2 months ago
N2 Kei Cuttings bus accident leaves 27 dead
News3 weeks ago
Drama As Bujy Bikwa Says No To Men’s Cell
World3 weeks ago
New video shows Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito telling police fiancé hit her during dispute
News3 weeks ago
Shortage of truck and bus drivers in South Africa as in the US and UK