Connect with us

News

Durban woman strangled to death in the Netherlands

Published

on

Durban – A man believed to be the boyfriend of a professional South African body-builder has been arrested and charged with her murder in the Netherlands.

The former KwaDukuza woman, Parus Pillay, 43, an employee at a travel agency, was found dead at her home in Almere, on June 7.

She had been strangled.

The man, 40, appeared in the Netherlands Central Court last week. The case was adjourned to Thursday for further investigation.

Pillay’s body was brought back to South Africa last week and she was cremated on Sunday.

A relative, who did not want to be named, said he had knowledge that Pillay had been in a relationship with the accused.

“There are allegations that Parus tried to break up with the accused and he would not accept it. He allegedly strangled her in a fit of rage. He alleges he then contacted his brother and sister to inform them of what he had done.”

A family spokesperson, who also did not want to be named, said Pillay’s teenage daughter broke the news of her death to the family.

“We were completely shattered. We could not accept what had happened. Being so many miles away from her, we felt helpless.

“A few days after her death, her sister travelled to the Netherlands to make arrangements to have Parus’s body brought back home.”

The spokesperson described the process as challenging.

Parus Pillay and her boyfriend who has been charged with her murder. Picture: Facebook

“We received her body from the Netherlands 12 days after her death because there were delays with the paperwork due to the circumstances of her death. This wait added to our trauma of dealing with her death.”

She added they had no idea what transpired on the day of her death.

“From what we know, the accused is just an acquaintance. We know nothing else about him or his relationship with Parus. We are now looking to police investigations for answers.”

In 2017, while working for Standard Bank in Gauteng, Pillay got a job offer at a travel agency in the Netherlands.

“Always one for an adventure and eager to try something new, Parus, who was divorced, decided to emigrate with her two daughters,” said her relative.

“When her older daughter turned 18, she returned to South Africa to live with her dad. Her younger daughter is now also living with her father.

“This is a difficult process for the children and we are trying to be strong for them. Parus was well-known in the Netherlands as she was part of the International Federation of Body-builders. When she was living in South Africa, she judged competitions in Durban and Johannesburg. In the Netherlands she did the very same thing. She was passionate about body-building and keeping in shape.” POST

Facebook Comments Box

News

N2 Kei Cuttings bus accident leaves 27 dead

Published

on

At least 27 people have been killed in a bus accident on the N2 at Kei Cuttings between East London and Butterworth in the Eastern Cape on Monday afternoon.

The death toll has been revised from earlier reports which indicated that 10 people have died.

Eastern Cape transport department spokesperson, Unathi Binqose, says the number of the deaths could increase as more people were still trapped inside the wrecked bus.

A large number of search and rescue personnel, traffic officers, firefighters and paramedics are on the scene.

Binqose said the death toll is likely to increase as search and rescue personnel plan to flip the bus over to see whether more people are trapped underneath.

The accident took place on the notorious section of the N2, known as the Kei Cuttings, north of the Kei River, which is known for its perilous twists and turns.

Binqose said the driver of the bus is among those who died.

The driver is believed to have lost control of the long-distance passenger bus before it plunged 200 metres down a steep embankment.

Read | 13 killed in KZN horror truck and minibus taxi crash

“He lost control just before he could cross the river on the last curve,” said Binqose.

Chief director of clinical support services for the health department, Kidwell Matshotyana, told TellitallSA that 22 people were stable and did not want to go to hospital.

“In terms of the injured people, we have five patients admitted at Frere Hospital and one at Life St Dominic’s Private Hospital [both in East London],” he said.

The department will arrange transport for the 22 people, who don’t want to go to hospital, to the nearest town. They will be given accommodation.

The bus is understood to have been transporting passengers from Cape Town.

Hospitals and emergency services in the area and further afield were offering help with triaging patients.

He said the police had the grim task of going through the luggage to find identity documents, in order to begin informing the next of kin of the tragedy.

The department would also work with the bus company to establish a contact centre for worried families checking up on people who were on the bus, and those details would be announced later.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news

Published

on

Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.

Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.

Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.

Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.

She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in

Published

on

Thulani dlomo

Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.

Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.

He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.

Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.

“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.

Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

This is a developing story.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA