Connect with us

News

Ex-principal pleads guilty to R5m fraud at Glenwood High School

Published

on

ex-principal for glenwood high school

Durban – The former head of Durban’s Glenwood High School, Trevor Kershaw, will spend the next three years under correctional supervision with a 10-year suspended prison sentence hanging over his head.

This after he pleaded guilty to fraud charges of just over R5million. A plea agreement with the State was reached on Thursday.

The case has dragged on in the courts for the past three years after Kershaw was charged with defrauding the school in 2016.

With Glenwood High regarded as one of the leading schools in the city, the scandal shocked parents, pupils and Durban’s wider school community, with the final chapter being closed this week.

Kershaw’s lawyer, Carl van der Merwe, confirmed that his client would not serve any jail time and that the plea bargain included that he was “remorseful” for his actions.

According to the plea bargain, while Kershaw was head of the prestigious school he had not kept the relevant documents to substantiate expenses he had incurred and had claimed reimbursement through fictitious documentation made up of more than 1600 dubious reimbursement claims and including over 100 homemade invoices.

“He foresaw the possibility that the school was being misled but nevertheless continued,” according to the plea bargain.

The Asset Forfeiture Unit seized Kershaw’s assets of R3m after his arrest.

The proceeds will be released to the school.

Principal Andri Barnes said: “The school has weathered the storm. Resilience is in Glenwood’s DNA. Our focus will remain on what is best for the boys.”

She welcomed the return of the funds, saying stringent accounting practices had now been put in place.

“Three people sign off on every transaction and the finance committee meets weekly to review transactions of the week.

“Our auditors have put very strict control measures in place,” she said, adding that the school’s budget had been “significantly trimmed”.

Magistrate Dawn Soomaroo of the Durban Commercial Crimes Court signed off on the plea agreement.

Source: Independent On Saturday

Facebook Comments Box

News

Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news

Published

on

Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.

Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.

Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.

Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.

She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in

Published

on

Thulani dlomo

Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.

Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.

He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.

Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.

“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.

Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

This is a developing story.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Residents warned against consuming dead fish washing up at Umhlanga and Umdloti beaches – video

Published

on

The eThekwini Municipality has sent out a warning to residents against collecting and consuming dead fish and crayfish that have washed up on the beaches of Umhlanga and Umdloti, north of Durban.

The public has been asked to refrain from fishing, surfing and swimming on the beaches after a video of the dead fish on the beaches emerged on social media.

The municipality said it was investigating what caused the marine life to die.

“It is considered serious and can affect one’s health if collected and consumed.”

According to reports, run-off water and chemicals reached the ocean through storm water drains after firefighters battled a blaze at a chemical plant at Cornubia started by looters on Tuesday.

WATCH | Outrage after several monkeys and dog poisoned in Umdloti

“The public is advised to refrain from all recreational activities, including fishing or surfing, bait collection and picking up of dead species in this area,” said the municipality.

“Collecting or harvesting of any marine living resource in the area is temporarily prohibited until the cause is determined and the threat has abated.

“Authorities are investigating the source of the pollution and cleanup companies are trying to contain the spill.”

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA