Connect with us

News

‘Isis mastermind’ behind Durban mosque attack and ‘retail bombs’ allowed to leave the country

Published

on

Farhad Hoomer durban terrorist attack suspect

Durban – A man accused of terrorist-related activities in Durban and having links to the Islamic State has had his bail conditions relaxed, allowing him to travel out of the country.

Farhad Hoomer, who is accused of orchestrating an attack at the Imam Hussain Mosque in May last year which resulted in the death of Verulam mechanic Abbas Essop, as well as firebomb attacks at retail outlets in the months that followed, will be allowed to travel China for business.

This was revealed when Hoomer, together with his 11 co-accused, appeared in the Verulam magistrate’s court on Monday.

Hoomer, Ahmed Haffejee‚ Goolam Haffejee‚ Thabit Mwenda‚ Mohamad Akbar‚ Seiph Mohamed‚ Amani Mayani‚ Abubakar Ali‚ Abbas Jooma‚ Mahammed Sobruin‚ Ndikumana Shabani and Iddy Omari were arrested during a co-ordinated Hawks raid on October 5 and face various other charges‚ including murder‚ attempted murder‚ arson and extortion.

Senior state prosecutor Mahen Naidu told the court that Hoomer’s lawyer, Jimmy Howse, had requested that his client’s bail conditions be relaxed to allow him to travel to China.

Hoomer previously told the court his import and export businesses turned over R5m a month.

Naidu emphasised that the state would allow Hoomer to travel only if certain criteria were met.

“We have no issue with the relaxation, based on the conditions that he is allowed to travel to China only, his stay does not exceed seven days, that he provides the investigating officer with a full itinerary and his travel details, including where he will be staying, his departure and return dates, and informs us in advance of his trip.

“This relaxation will apply only until the matter is heard in the high court. Another application will then need to be made should he want to continue to travel.”

Naidu said that the defence had requested that the state reconsider how many times a week the accused would have to report to their nearest police station.

“We agreed the accused should report to their nearest police station once every second week,” he said.

Naidu said the state still needed to obtain voice samples from Hoomer.

TimesLIVE previously reported about an affidavit disposed by Col Johannes Vreugdenburg of the organised crime unit at the Hawks, in which he provided reasons why the voice samples were needed.

Vreugdenburg’s affidavit highlighted that on August 7 2018, Woolworths’ financial call centre in Cape Town received calls from a person stating that he had information about the bombings at their shops in Durban, and that upon Hoomer’s arrest he recognised “similarities between his voice and the digital recordings received from Woolworths”.

Magistrate Irfan Khalil granted both applications and postponed the matter for further investigation.

The veracity of Hoomer’s voice samples is expected to be deliberated on October 16 when he will appear alone in the Verulam court.

Khalil also ordered that all the accused appear on December 13, when the state is expected to provide feedback on the data analysed from the 216 electronic devices seized from the accused.

Source: TimesLIVE

Facebook Comments Box

News

Look: 4 critically injured in tanker and bus crash on N3

Published

on

Tanker and bus on fire mooi river

Four people have been injured and multiple others injured when a tanker truck, a bus and other vehicles were involved in a serious crash on N3 north just before the Hidcote off ramp in Mooi River.

Netcare 911’s Shawn Herbst said that paramedics responded to the accident scene at 15H42 on Monday afternoon.

“Netcare 911 with Nsele Ambulance Services Responded to a collision on the N3 Johannesburg bound in Hidcote KZN Midlands region.

Reports indicate that a bus, tanker and multiple cars were involved in a collision leaving four people critical and approximately fourty-four other patients with minor to serious injuries,” said Hersbt.

The fire and rescue services are currently on scene trying to extinguish the fire to determine if any deaths have occurred.

This is a developing story.

Tanker and bus on fire mooi river

Tanker bus accident hidcote

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Attorney Theasen Pillay found deceased in his Umhlanga Ridge apartment

Published

on

Attorney Theasan Pillay death

Durban – Lawyer Theasan Pillay, 47, from attorneys Theasan Pillay and Associates has been found dead in his apartment on Solstice road in Umhlanga Ridge on Friday morning.

Private security company, Reaction Unit South Africa (Rusa) reported that they received a call at 11h34 on Friday from a relative requesting assistance after he made the gruesome discovery.

Rusa officers and paramedics on arrival found Pillay in his bedroom.

He had suffered stab wounds to his arm and chest.

“It was established that Pillay left a suicide note at his offices in Umhlanga prior to leaving the premises this morning. His employees discovered the note and called him. During a telephonic conversation he assured them that he was fine and needed some time alone. They then informed his family and requested that they check on his well-being.

His brother proceeded to his apartment and gained access with a set of spare keys when he made the discovery,” said Rusa.

Pillay’s death is being investigated by the police and updates will be shared as soon as they become available.

This is a developing story.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Leo Prinsloo guarded Kim Kardashian amongst other high profile people

Published

on

Leo Prinsloo kim Kardashian

Pretoria – The hero guard, Leo Prinsloo, once served as a guard for former President Nelson Mandela, Prince Charles and even Kim Kardashian amongst high profile people, IOL has reported.

Deon Coetzee, MD of the Fortis Group said that Prinsloo has been in various security roles for more than 30 years now, with a 12 year career in the South African Police Special Task Force.

He had extensive training, including training with Abu Dhabi’s Anti-Terrorism unit.

In the SAPS Task Force, he was a head instructor of their lone operator training.

Prinsloo and Lloyd Mthombeni became a world topic when a video was shared on social media of them being shot at by robbers.

Coetzee said the two had been escorting a van that was transporting cellphones when they came under attack on the N4 freeway in Pretoria.

He said the modus operandi of criminals is to take out both the escort vehicle and the courier vehicle.

“In the video you see what was happening to the escort vehicle. Two vehicles with three criminals in each tried to take them and Leo took evasive action,” Coetzee said.

MORE ON THIS

“The guard in the passenger seat, Lloyd Mthombeni, was just four days on the job when the incident happened,” he said.

Dash cam footage of the incident was shared thousands of times and quickly went viral on social media. The public has hugely been amazed by the bravery exhibited by Prinsloo who managed to keep his cool as bullets rained on his van.

News agencies across the globe covered the incident showing Prinsloo’s daring escape from the robbers.

Death threats

Meanwhile, Prinsloo has been placed under police guard following death threats.

Coetzee said they have had to step up security around him following the threats.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA