Connect with us

News

On duty Cape Town paramedics attacked one night after the other

Published

on

cape town paramedics attacked

Cape Town – More paramedics have been left traumatised after two more attacks on them while they were helping patients.

In Ravensmead yesterday, a paramedic’s eye was injured after the crew was attacked while transporting a patient to Tygerberg Hospital.

In Atlantis the night before, personnel were robbed of their personal belongings while treating a patient. The provincial health department said all the staff had been offered counselling.

The trend has continued from last year, bringing the number of attacks to 28 in the last 12 months.

“A whole-of-society approach is required to create safe environments which enable people to access the health care they require. Often these attacks take place in extremely vulnerable communities where emergency services are most needed.

“The department urges all residents to protect EMS personnel while they are rendering this very important service. Please report it to the nearest police station should you witness anything,” they said.

In a separate incident, metro officers had a narrow escape when arresting a motorist in Koeberg Road, Milnerton. He allegedly assaulted an officer while resisting arrest.

This after the officers had stopped to assist the suspect when they noticed his vehicle had broken down.

The suspect got aggressive when he was approached by the officers, who then decided to check if the vehicle was stolen.

“The suspect drove off and nearly ran over the officers. The suspect stopped and kept on insulting the officers.

“The officers sustained no injuries during the process. The suspect was arrested and detained at Milnerton SAPS,” the City said.

Police did not respond to requests for comment by deadline.

Facebook Comments Box

News

N2 Kei Cuttings bus accident leaves 27 dead

Published

on

At least 27 people have been killed in a bus accident on the N2 at Kei Cuttings between East London and Butterworth in the Eastern Cape on Monday afternoon.

The death toll has been revised from earlier reports which indicated that 10 people have died.

Eastern Cape transport department spokesperson, Unathi Binqose, says the number of the deaths could increase as more people were still trapped inside the wrecked bus.

A large number of search and rescue personnel, traffic officers, firefighters and paramedics are on the scene.

Binqose said the death toll is likely to increase as search and rescue personnel plan to flip the bus over to see whether more people are trapped underneath.

The accident took place on the notorious section of the N2, known as the Kei Cuttings, north of the Kei River, which is known for its perilous twists and turns.

Binqose said the driver of the bus is among those who died.

The driver is believed to have lost control of the long-distance passenger bus before it plunged 200 metres down a steep embankment.

Read | 13 killed in KZN horror truck and minibus taxi crash

“He lost control just before he could cross the river on the last curve,” said Binqose.

Chief director of clinical support services for the health department, Kidwell Matshotyana, told TellitallSA that 22 people were stable and did not want to go to hospital.

“In terms of the injured people, we have five patients admitted at Frere Hospital and one at Life St Dominic’s Private Hospital [both in East London],” he said.

The department will arrange transport for the 22 people, who don’t want to go to hospital, to the nearest town. They will be given accommodation.

The bus is understood to have been transporting passengers from Cape Town.

Hospitals and emergency services in the area and further afield were offering help with triaging patients.

He said the police had the grim task of going through the luggage to find identity documents, in order to begin informing the next of kin of the tragedy.

The department would also work with the bus company to establish a contact centre for worried families checking up on people who were on the bus, and those details would be announced later.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news

Published

on

Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.

Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.

Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.

Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.

She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

News

Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in

Published

on

Thulani dlomo

Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.

Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.

He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.

Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.

“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.

Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

This is a developing story.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA