Durban – Several foreign nationals have been arrested for illegally operating a factory in Tongaat in KwaZulu-Natal, and in separate incidents other people were also arrested for contravening the coronavirus (Covid-19) regulations and large amounts of liquor were confiscated, the South African Police Service (SAPS) said on Sunday.
“A large group of foreign nationals were arrested for residing on and operating a factory in Tongaat, north of Durban,” SAPS national spokesman Brigadier Vish Naidoo said in a statement.
On Thursday, April 16, a complaint about the operation on Walter Reid Road in Tongaat was received and attended to by SAPS officers. On arrival, however, the officers found the premises locked and quiet.
On Friday, April 17, the local police station commander received further information that the factory was going to be operational at the weekend and that people were living on the premises.
On Saturday, a SAPS team was put together and they proceeded to the factory at 12noon. On initial observation, the factory appeared to be closed from the outside, but machine noises were heard coming from the inside of the premises, he said.
“No activity could be seen around the premises. At that moment, two foreigners opened the roller door of the factory. They were questioned about their presence there and they said that they were merely fetching welding machines.”
When they were informed that they were to be charged for contravening the disaster management regulations for not being confined to their residences in terms of the Disaster Management Act, they attempted to flee and were arrested.
The officers entered the premises and found over 90 sealed beer bottles, over 90 beer cans, and over 100 cartons of cigarettes on the premises, Naidoo said.
“Three other foreign nationals were also found on the premises. They said they could not account for the alcohol and cigarettes, stating it could belong their employer. They further confirmed that all the other employees, who were also foreigners, had gone back to their homeland and one SA employee had gone to Johannesburg.
“They denied that there were any other persons on the premises. While inspecting the premises, the team discovered several dormitories with undone beds and cellphone chargers still plugged in the wall sockets. When asked again … the three denied anyone else being on the premises. A large kitchen and dining area was also found to be fully stocked with food, which seemed too much for only three persons, raising further suspicion,” Naidoo said.
Further inspection of the premises revealed an internal door opening to a fire escape staircase leading to the ceiling. Eight foreign nationals were found hiding inside the ceiling. Three more foreign nationals were subsequently found hiding within the premises.
All the suspects were arrested for contravening of the Disaster Management Act and Immigration Act. The first three suspects were also charged for defeating the ends of justice.
A computer hard drive containing camera footage was also seized to check for evidence that the factory was in fact operational during the lockdown, and the alcohol and cigarettes were seized.
All the suspects were currently detained. Home affairs department immigration service officials were summoned to verify whether the suspects were legally in the country, as only nine passports were found and their work permits looked questionable. The suspects were also taken to the local Tongaat Clinic for Covid-19 screening, Naidoo said.
In two separate incidents in other parts of KwaZulu-Natal, three people had been arrested for dealing in liquor. Large amounts of liquor had also been confiscated despite strict warnings against this.
In Port Shepstone, on Friday April 17, officers of the K9 unit arrested two people, a buyer and seller, and seized liquor worth millions of rand. On Saturday, SAPS units and the metro police tactical unit disrupted liquor sales at a bottle store in Bartlet Road, Sarnia in Pinetown.
A variety of liquor and cigarettes to the value of R250 000 were seized and a suspect was arrested. The same suspect was previously released on bail for the same offence, Naidoo said.
African News Agency/ANA
Watch: Teddy Mafia’s son-in-law targeted in Shallcross drive-by shooting
Kesavan Isaac Naidoo, the son-in-law of slain alleged Durban drug boss “Teddy Mafia” has survived a brazen attempted assassination on Wednesday, his family confirmed.
The incident took place at about 10am in Shallcross, south of Durban.
Naidoo, 41, is the son-in-law of Yaganathan Pillay – also known as Teddy Mafia.
He was shot twice in a daylight hit on Table Mountain Drive. The incident was captured on CCTV.
“Isaac was shot in both legs and his driver was shot in the hand. Both of them survived. They’re in hospital,” he said.
Pillay said Naidoo was in the back seat while his wife was in the front. The shooting, seen in the footage, takes place moments after they open the doors of their vehicle to get out.
In the footage, a white vehicle can be seen driving along Table Mountain Drive before it is stopped, partially blocking the left hand side of the road. Thirteen seconds later, Naidoo’s vehicle, a white Toyota Fortuna, pulls up.
The back passenger door of the Fortuner is opened, but it is not clear from the footage who the person was who opened it or if they got out of the vehicle.
Naidoo’s wife is seen getting out of the front passenger side of the vehicle and walks towards the rear of the SUV.
Suddenly, four men alight from the stationary vehicle, three of them drawing firearms and running towards the Fortuner, firing multiple shots. The fourth man stands next to the white car.
As the bullets are fired, Naidoo’s driver accelerates and drives past the other vehicle. Naidoo is presumably in the vehicle as it speeds away, but this could not immediately be confirmed.
Pillay said Naidoo was doing “OK”.
Police have been approached for comment, and this story will be updated.
— Yusuf Abramjee (@Abramjee) October 13, 2021
Facebook Down, Instagram and WhatsApp also offline
Facebook is currently experiencing an outage impacting its family of sites including WhatsApp and Instagram.
Most Facebook users are seeing an error message that says ‘This site can’t be reached.’ On Instagram, the error message shows as a 5xx Server Error message.
The outage is impacting users on both desktop and mobile.
“We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products,” Andy Stone, policy communications manager at Facebook, tweeted on Monday. “We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.”
We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products. We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
— Facebook (@Facebook) October 4, 2021
Facebook Messenger and Oculus are also experiencing outages.
The first reports on DownDetector.com started around 5pm.
According to The Verge, the issue is likely related to a DNS issue. When Slack experienced an outage last week, it was also related to DNS issues.
Husband killed, wife critical as robbers open fire during Joburg home invasion
A home invasion on Sunday night left a man dead and his wife fighting for her life after they were shot by robbers in Randpark, Johannesburg.
Emer-G-Med private emergency services paramedics found the man had sustained fatal gunshot wounds and he was declared dead.
His wife was also shot several times and was stabilised before being taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Reports from the scene indicated there were several armed assailants.
Police are investigating the incident.- TimesLIVE
News3 months ago
Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news
News2 months ago
N2 Kei Cuttings bus accident leaves 27 dead
News3 weeks ago
Drama As Bujy Bikwa Says No To Men’s Cell
World3 weeks ago
New video shows Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito telling police fiancé hit her during dispute
News3 weeks ago
Shortage of truck and bus drivers in South Africa as in the US and UK