Connect with us


Gavin Watson was already dead before his crash, private pathologist finds



gavin watson cause of death

The reason for this could be natural causes or foul play, but the family says it’s at least a comfort to them that suicide has been ruled out.

According to the preliminary conclusions of a private pathology report sent to Gavin Watson’s family this week, the late CEO of Bosasa was already dead before his vehicle hit the pillar.

As a result, suicide has been ruled out by the private pathologist hired by the Watson family.

This revelation was revealed earlier on Sunday in a report in The Citizen.

The conclusion about Watson’s death was reached based on the fact that the body didn’t show signs of “significant trauma” despite Watson’s Toyota Corolla smashing into a concrete pillar on the way into OR Tambo Airport at a speed above 80km/h.

His face wasn’t badly damaged and there wasn’t much bruising either, despite initial reports that Watson may not have been strapped into the driver’s seat.

There wasn’t nearly as much blood on the scene as was expected, based on the fact that an artery in Watson’s neck was severed, presumably by the crash, which vehicle data suggested took place at between 80km/h and 100km/h.

The Citizen reported that a Watson family member said: “We have five seconds of data from the vehicle before the accident, and we know the vehicle was travelling somewhere between 80-100km/h for five seconds before the accident.

“The vehicle’s speed was constant over these five seconds and did not accelerate. As such, reports that the vehicle was accelerating and that it was travelling at a ‘massive speed’, are both confirmed to be false from the data of the vehicle.

“We are also told that, at high speeds on that bend, the vehicle would have struggled to keep control and we would have then expected to see markings on the white line of the road, which were not present on the scene of the accident.

“We have further information to suggest the ‘eyewitnesses’ were bribed to make statements contrary to that, suggesting that the vehicle was travelling at a high speed, was accelerating, and driving recklessly.

“None of these statements are consistent with the data from the vehicle or accident scene,” said the family member.

Earlier this month, the family said they were not happy with the way in which the accident was handled by authorities.

The questions surrounding the crash prompted them to hire a private car crash investigator as well as a private forensic pathologist, who sent them the report confirming that, in their view, the crash could not have been suicide.

They claimed Watson’s belongings from the wreck were not placed in an evidence bag, and did not undergo any forensic testing.

Other alleged inconsistencies included Watson’s glasses, which were undamaged, and the fact that so little blood was found despite Watson being on blood thinners.

Possessions found at the scene included R70 in Watson’s wallet, as well as his ID card and driver’s licence. He had no luggage or passport with him, and no cellphone. It was later determined that the phone was missing, and was tracked to within a 50m radius at a location in Bryanston.

The family does not believe it will ever be recovered.

The family was also demanding to be shown the photos taken at the accident scene, to determine whether the area where the car ended up was properly secured.

There had been much speculation on whether Watson crashed into the bridge pillar on purpose to commit suicide, since there were no brake marks on the tarmac, or whether he suffered a heart attack or other medical problem, or even whether he was murdered.

The area on the road at which he crashed isn’t covered by CCTV footage.

“From Gavin’s body, a number of observations have been communicated to us. Gavin didn’t appear to have any significant blunt force trauma to his face or head from the accident, with very minimal bruising.

“He had a deep laceration on his neck and his aorta was severed. These injuries could have occurred as a result of the accident.

“Given the speed at which the airbag comes out, and the sudden stopping of the vehicle, the stresses on the body, even at lower speeds, can cause the aorta to sever as it did.

“Furthermore, the laceration on his neck appeared consistent with being caused by the seatbelt at the time of impact. However, Gavin was not wearing his seatbelt.

“If these wounds occurred at point of impact, we would expect to see significant amounts of blood from the neck wound, as well as significant amounts of blood inside the chest cavity from the aorta. Neither of these were observable on the accident scene or from the autopsy.

“As such it would appear that Gavin was already dead, or that his heart was not functioning at the time of impact of the vehicle.

“There was no evidence of his own medications being in his system, but we are still waiting on the state for toxicology results for the presence of poisons, etc.

“There is another thing that occurs in accidents: What they call brush abrasions. There are similar to carpet/grass burns on the body … what they call parchment abrasions. Generally, these seep blood and tissue fluid, but Gavin’s were dry.

“Those factors: no significant blood in the chest cavity, no significant blood from the neck, and dry brush abrasions, seemed to confirm what the pathologist suspected … that Gavin was dead or that his heart was not functioning already before impact,” said the family member.

The accident happened a day before Watson was due to testify at a Sars tax inquiry in August.

Rumours had circulated regarding a Guernsey offshore tax haven, where Watson apparently stashed as much as half a billion rand. Gavin Watson’s nephew Jared earlier this month rubbished these claims saying according to Watson’s passport records, his uncle had not even travelled to the UK in the past decade.

Although the family member admitted they could not prove the suspicions and were just expressing a personal view, foul play was not out of the question.

“Why was Gavin in the vicinity of the airport? Most likely for a meeting, but no one has come forward to say they were meeting him, which is troubling.

“Why was a dead man’s phone moving from Germiston to Bryanston at 8pm at night?” the family member also asked, referring to Watson’s missing cellphone. “No vagrant does that.”

The family member stressed, however, that the reports were preliminary and it would be best to wait for the final findings, which would include information such as toxicology data.

“It may have just been a heart attack that caused the accident, but that does not answer some pretty key questions, including how he would coincidentally have just had a heart attack at the one section of road not covered by cameras.”

Facebook Comments Box


Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news



Koko Mantsha, the popular Skeem Saam character acto, real name, Lydia Mokgokoloshi is not dead.

Social media is awash with news of her death which seems to have been fuelled by fake news sites aiming to profit from unsuspecting lovers of the 80 year-old veteran actress.

Lydia Mokgokoloshi, has appeared in many television shows including Muvhango and Bophelo ke semphego.

Mokgokoloshi was born on 27 September 1939, in Polokwane, Polokwane Local Municipality, Capricorn District Municipality, Limpopo.

She is most famous for acting as Koko Mantsha the grandmother of Katlego Pietersen (Patrick Seleka) in the soap, Skeem Saam.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading


Watch: Thulani Dlomo an alleged ‘Zuma spy’, hands himself in



Thulani dlomo

Thulani Dlomo, the axed former SSA top spy and former SA ambassador to Japan has handed himself over to police on Friday.

Dlomo’s lawyer Philani Shangase said that he handed himself over at his own will at the Durban Central Police station on Friday.

He said Dlomo was not arrested but wanted to clear his name following media reports.

Dlomo was being interviewed by police officers at 17h00 on Friday.

“He has denied all wrong doing,” Shangase said.

Dlomo was suspected to be one of the instigators of the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

This is a developing story.

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading


Residents warned against consuming dead fish washing up at Umhlanga and Umdloti beaches – video



The eThekwini Municipality has sent out a warning to residents against collecting and consuming dead fish and crayfish that have washed up on the beaches of Umhlanga and Umdloti, north of Durban.

The public has been asked to refrain from fishing, surfing and swimming on the beaches after a video of the dead fish on the beaches emerged on social media.

The municipality said it was investigating what caused the marine life to die.

“It is considered serious and can affect one’s health if collected and consumed.”

According to reports, run-off water and chemicals reached the ocean through storm water drains after firefighters battled a blaze at a chemical plant at Cornubia started by looters on Tuesday.

WATCH | Outrage after several monkeys and dog poisoned in Umdloti

“The public is advised to refrain from all recreational activities, including fishing or surfing, bait collection and picking up of dead species in this area,” said the municipality.

“Collecting or harvesting of any marine living resource in the area is temporarily prohibited until the cause is determined and the threat has abated.

“Authorities are investigating the source of the pollution and cleanup companies are trying to contain the spill.”

Facebook Comments Box
Continue Reading


Copyright © 2021 TellitallSA