DURBAN – A Durban man was shot in an armed robbery on the N2 highway in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Denzil Chetty, who is recovering in hospital, had been on his way home when he crashed into bricks that had been placed across the N2 north, near Spaghetti Junction in the Cato Manor area.
His cousin, Kuben Govender, said Chetty had called him to tell him something had happened to his car.
“While he was describing what was going on, I heard gunshots in the background. I told him to drive away quickly,” he said.
Chetty was shot in the abdomen, but managed to drive on to safety.
Govender said when he arrived at the scene, at least three other motorists had stopped at the roadside because they had also hit the obstacles.
“A couple in a VW Polo crashed into the bricks and stopped at the side of the road. About three or four men rushed towards them and I saw one of the men running off with the woman’s bag.
“There was also a truck that stopped and the driver fled. An Audi was also parked nearby. I am not sure if that person was robbed as well,” Govender said.
He said it appeared bricks and spikes had been placed on the road to stop motorists.
Govender said there was also a man standing on the bridge nearby and it seemed as if he was communicating with the robbers below.
Chetty was rushed to a nearby hospital.
KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson, Colonel Thembeka Mbele, confirmed that a case of attempted murder was being investigated by Cato Manor SAPS.
The attacks come just hours after KZN MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, Mxolisi Kaunda, addressed Cato Manor police and crime fighting committees on toughening up their fight against crime.
This was Kaunda’s second visit to the area in the wake of an escalation in crime, especially murders.
Department spokesperson, Mluleki Mntungwa, noted that last year, similar incidents of items being placed on roads were reported but after police stepped up patrols, these stopped.
Kaunda said that new, tough measures would be employed to deal with all crime hotspots in the province.
– THE MERCURY
Watch: Teddy Mafia’s son-in-law targeted in Shallcross drive-by shooting
Kesavan Isaac Naidoo, the son-in-law of slain alleged Durban drug boss “Teddy Mafia” has survived a brazen attempted assassination on Wednesday, his family confirmed.
The incident took place at about 10am in Shallcross, south of Durban.
Naidoo, 41, is the son-in-law of Yaganathan Pillay – also known as Teddy Mafia.
He was shot twice in a daylight hit on Table Mountain Drive. The incident was captured on CCTV.
“Isaac was shot in both legs and his driver was shot in the hand. Both of them survived. They’re in hospital,” he said.
Pillay said Naidoo was in the back seat while his wife was in the front. The shooting, seen in the footage, takes place moments after they open the doors of their vehicle to get out.
In the footage, a white vehicle can be seen driving along Table Mountain Drive before it is stopped, partially blocking the left hand side of the road. Thirteen seconds later, Naidoo’s vehicle, a white Toyota Fortuna, pulls up.
The back passenger door of the Fortuner is opened, but it is not clear from the footage who the person was who opened it or if they got out of the vehicle.
Naidoo’s wife is seen getting out of the front passenger side of the vehicle and walks towards the rear of the SUV.
Suddenly, four men alight from the stationary vehicle, three of them drawing firearms and running towards the Fortuner, firing multiple shots. The fourth man stands next to the white car.
As the bullets are fired, Naidoo’s driver accelerates and drives past the other vehicle. Naidoo is presumably in the vehicle as it speeds away, but this could not immediately be confirmed.
Pillay said Naidoo was doing “OK”.
Police have been approached for comment, and this story will be updated.
— Yusuf Abramjee (@Abramjee) October 13, 2021
Facebook Down, Instagram and WhatsApp also offline
Facebook is currently experiencing an outage impacting its family of sites including WhatsApp and Instagram.
Most Facebook users are seeing an error message that says ‘This site can’t be reached.’ On Instagram, the error message shows as a 5xx Server Error message.
The outage is impacting users on both desktop and mobile.
“We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products,” Andy Stone, policy communications manager at Facebook, tweeted on Monday. “We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.”
We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products. We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
— Facebook (@Facebook) October 4, 2021
Facebook Messenger and Oculus are also experiencing outages.
The first reports on DownDetector.com started around 5pm.
According to The Verge, the issue is likely related to a DNS issue. When Slack experienced an outage last week, it was also related to DNS issues.
Husband killed, wife critical as robbers open fire during Joburg home invasion
A home invasion on Sunday night left a man dead and his wife fighting for her life after they were shot by robbers in Randpark, Johannesburg.
Emer-G-Med private emergency services paramedics found the man had sustained fatal gunshot wounds and he was declared dead.
His wife was also shot several times and was stabilised before being taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Reports from the scene indicated there were several armed assailants.
Police are investigating the incident.- TimesLIVE
News3 months ago
Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha death dismissed as fake news
News2 months ago
N2 Kei Cuttings bus accident leaves 27 dead
News3 weeks ago
Drama As Bujy Bikwa Says No To Men’s Cell
World3 weeks ago
New video shows Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito telling police fiancé hit her during dispute
News3 weeks ago
Shortage of truck and bus drivers in South Africa as in the US and UK